Originally written Nov 29, 2010
Did you know you can do Markdown in the excellent and free TextWrangler?
For anyone interested in the Markdown text markup language and doesn’t own Scrivener or doesn’t want to get into the Terminal to convert your text to HTML then here’s a pretty nice thing I found.
- Install Markdown per the instructions at Daring Fireball.
- Install the free TextWrangler from Bare Bones Software.
- Open TextWrangler and select the menu item #! which they call shebang.
- Go down to Unix Filters and click Open Filters Folder.
- Open a new finder window and find the Markdown.pl file you installed in step 1.
- Drag a copy (Option key while dragging) into the Filters Folder.
Now any time you have markdown text inside TextWrangler you can go to the #! menu -> Unix Filters -> Markdown.pl and it will convert your buffer into the appropriate HTML! Just copy and paste it into your blog or web page and you’re ready to go.
As an added bonus you can download SmartyPants, also from Daring Fireball and turn those typewriter quote marks into proper marks.